Home > Crafts/DIY, Tarot > Gilded Tarot Cards

Gilded Tarot Cards

February 9, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

I gilded my own Tarot cards.

I’ve always wanted a gilded Tarot deck but I don’t like any that I’ve seen. That inspired me to make my own gilded cards. I got some paint markers and rubber-banded my cards super tight. I colored one side at a time, pinching the deck close together where I was painting. I crossed my fingers while they dried, undid the band, and voila! I was surprised it worked so well. As you can see in the last photo there was some bleeding onto the face of the cards but it blends ok with the borders, I don’t mind at all! I think they came out fantastically.

I was happy with the results so I did silver on another deck. It’s less noticeable but still adds a touch of glimmer.

Au revoir,
Kristin

About these ads
  1. February 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

Ooo that looks lovely! I just got a gilded deck as a gift from a friend..and I noticed most of Doreen Virtue’s decks are gilded too!

2. February 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

Very nice :) They look good :)

3. February 9, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Kristin, that’s awesome!!! I love gilded decks too! Sharing on fb community page ;)

4. McGuffyAnn
    February 10, 2013 at 4:54 am

You are very creative and did a beautiful job!

5. February 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

The cards look beautiful!

6. June 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

Gosh, I just trimmed my Thoth Tarot. I think that thanks to you, the next step will be to give it some gilded edges. You did a fine job in personalizing your tarot decks!

7. November 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Nice job! Thanks to the borders, the bleeding actually adds to the appearance of the cards. If in the future you’d like to avoid the bleeding, do each card individually. Of course that takes longer.

8. February 5, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I love gilded decks, but don’t like many of the decks that are gilded if that makes sense :) I have thought about trying this.. does the gilding stay on well? I also thought about taking a black sharpie to the edges of some of my black decks that have scratches in the black borders….

• February 6, 2014 at 10:18 am

Unfortunately the metallic color did wear down. I used a sharpie on my Tarot of Trees deck which has black borders on front and back so I wanted to give it a more uniform look by hiding the white cardstock. So far the sharpie has stayed black as the day I did it. Alex is right, markers (and even stamp pads) work better because they absorb into the cardstock but you won’t get the metallic look.

I agree with you, I don’t really care for any of the gilded decks on the market right now. BUT I recently found a gilded deck that I DO like! Read the comments about it here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=205082 and it can be purchased directly from the artist here: http://www.masaseptember.com/store.html

9. Alex
    February 6, 2014 at 1:20 am

raggedpoet, I’ve tried gilding with a number of pens. I find that the metallic ones invariably come off and eventually need to be redone. Overall, I find it worth the trouble if I like the way it enhances the deck.

On the other hand, black or colored markers which are dye based retain their color because they’re better absorbed into the card stock. I’ve done a number of decks with black edges and they’ve held up pretty well. You might need to rub off some of the excess ink with paper towel before you put them to use.

1. No trackbacks yet.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Three Hundred and Sixty-Six

A personal exploration of spirituality

Tarot Heritage

All about tarot history and historic decks

Pixiecraft: Adventures of Magick and Devotion

The Life of a Practicing Pagan and Traditional Witch

Wynn of All Trades

Craft ALL the things!

tarot in a teacup

a healthy brew of tarot wisdom

Kenda Once Again in Japan

Working and Living in Japan Without Her Spouse

Aubrey's Blog

What A Dear, Dear Day!

Indigo Visions

Helpful information to heal yourself & the planet

mentalnotes1

POETRY, RANDOM THOUGHTS AND STUFF LIKE THAT....

The Informed Pagan

promoting responsibility and integrity within the pagan community, through knowledge and awareness.

The Heartsongs Blog

Journeying back to my heart

The Love & Life Project

'the earth has music for those who listen...'

thepurplebroom

The Infinite, Insane and Inchoate Musings of a Raving Mad Witch

her sixth circle

dreams and tarot and searching

To the Forest!

My spiritual connection with trees through photos and musings.

The Pink Pagan

One nerdy girls opinion on all things Pagan

AngelaDiMare.com

I tell stories to make friends.

FEC-THis

Life after a tango with death & its best friend cancer

SageDoyle

Fiction & Poetry

Sunshine Breeze

A mix of fresh air and glowing sun light as I walk my own path

Fenland Wyldcraft

A solitary English Witch

Shamanic Drum

Shamanism, Tarot and the World in all its diversity

moderndayruth

Tarot inspired essays and more

jema

: tarot : dreams :

My Curious Cabinet

random nothingness whenever the fancy takes me

Wicked Emerald - Live From Montreal

I walked the road with no deviation.

Tarotized Quotes

Daily Tarot Wisdom

Spirits in the Material World

Messages from spirit, mediumship and a personal journey into the unknown

It's a Wiccan Life

Life through Wiccan eyes

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 107 other followers